i promise i won't bog down my blog with epilepsy posts. but it's important to me because it affects me. and it's like a light blub went off when i found out it was epilepsy awareness month. the basic goal of the month to make people aware of what epilepsy is and how to take care of someone when they have a seizure. true and simple awareness.
so...more knowledge for you :o)
Epilepsy Fast Facts
- Epilepsy is a chronic neurological condition characterized by recurrent seizures.
- There are many types of seizures and their symptoms can vary from a momentary disruption of the senses, to short periods of unconsciousness or staring spells, to convulsions.
- Epilepsy can be caused by many different conditions that affect a person’s brain. Often no definite cause can be found. Epilepsy cannot be transmitted from person to person.
- Epilepsy affects about 2.0 million Americans.
- About 10% of people will experience a seizure sometime during their lifetime and about 3% will have had a diagnosis of epilepsy by age 80.
- In 2010, nearly 140,000 new cases of epilepsy will be diagnosed in the United States.
- Epilepsy results in an estimated annual cost of $15.5 billion in medical costs and lost or reduced earnings and production.
if you don't know....now you know. brush up on your Seizure First Aid.